Here are reasons you should pay attention to this election---
1. India has over a billion people and it has merit to know what they think and how they are governed.
2. The likely new government of India is a right-wing government that equates Indian nationhood with being a Hindu of a certain outlook. The likely incoming Prime Minister--Narendra Modi--has a history of allowing violence against Indian Muslims.
(Photo is of Mr. Modi.)
I know this is depressing, but it shows in a perverse way that people are the same all over. Consider using this commonality as a launching point to the fact that we are all connected.
3. If you can converse about the Indian election with somebody else who also knows about the subject, you will likely impress that person. Maybe it will even get you a date.
4. It is a big interesting world, and it is fun and thought-provoking to see what is going on around the globe.
5. Here is a more sympathetic take on Mr. Modi's strong support from the left-wing British newspaper The Guardian. It is always good to have your beliefs challenged.
The BBC Indian election website is a useful place to start in understanding the 2014 Indian elections.
Please read all of NeilAquino.com